Outside drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the back of my house the previous owners have done this:

2eqfo0o.jpg

They filled the soak away with the small stones which looked nice but unfortunately the get blocked up with leaves, dust, dirt and stuff so the water hangs. I've taken all the stones out and cleaned out the soak away (which now runs nice and clear into the drain in the bottom lef hand corner of the photo). What should I put back into this soak away to allow it to function correctly and look nice at the same time?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It looks like they have attemped to deal with the problem of a high ground level. Bodgeitandleggit's idea is a good one if it works and does not suit his handle ;) . An alternative is to use larger stones about the size that you can just get your hand around. Less likely to block and easy enough to take out and clean now and then.

It looks like they have attemped to deal with the problem of a high ground level. Bodgeitandleggit's idea is a good one if it works and does not suit his handle ;) . An alternative is to use larger stones about the size that you can just get your hand around. Less likely to block and easy enough to take out and clean now and then.
Those sized stones use to be called "reject ballast" and could be used under floor slabs - alternatively get down to the crumbles - I don`t expect the Duke of Devonshire will mind you taking a few of his stones ;)

Sponsored Links
Nige, why have you changed your location to uk and not Sussex? Are you on the move again with the travelling community?

Andy

Thanks guys.

So using small stoned like are there at the moment will simply trap dirt and block up the water flow? It's best to use large stones? Like we've got on Eastbourne beach or... dig it out and fit 1m lengths of plastic channel?

If you can see where my nearest window is, I'm actually going to knock through a set of French doors (to a structural engineers spec and signed of by the council). How would you make good of the threshold on the outside? How would it work with my stones/place to stand as you step outside? Would you generally advise sitting the doors on a layer of DPM one brick up from the ground or what would you suggest given my high outside ground level?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back