Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just moved into a new build house and want to install an outside door light with PIR. I have noticed there is wiring allready in the outside wall running to a single switch inside (not wired in) next to the front door.

My question is...... i would like the outdoor light to be on all the time using the PIR to turn it on and off. To install the light do i need to change the switch to a 2 way or can i wire it to the single swich. If i can keep the one way swich how do i go about wiring in the outdoor light to it?

Hope someone can help
Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
Firstly any item of equipment must be connected via a suitable isolator located local to the said item (MCB's are not regarded as this).

You may be lucky as many new builds have both Phase and Neutral supplied to the switch back box.
If this is so I recommend you add a switched fused connection unit and supply the outside light from there.

Hi,

i'm the same as ukrad, New build with a t&e cable installed from the outside wall to a one gang one way switch just inside the hall. the cable is terminated there with no supply on it. The switch supplies a light in the hall and is connected with live to L1 and two further browns to L2 with three blues terminated in rear of switch back.

with a 2 gang 2 way switch how do I wire the outside light cabling into this configuration, to allow independent switching of both hall & outside light.?

Any ideas would be a real help

SORRY TO PUT THE DAMPERS ON IT BUT THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN LAW SINCE JAN 1st 2005

Does Part P Apply To Me?

Part P applies to all electrical installation work carried out in dwellings. However, you do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about:
repairs and maintenance work or
extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in specially defined areas such as a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors)
If you are unsure you should contact your local authority's Building Control Department or, if you are already dealing with a Competent Person, he/she should be able to advise you.

To find your local Building Control Department visit the LABC website http://www.labc-services.co.uk/offices/default.asp

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back