Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have removed an old outside light and the cable ran down inside the cavity from the loft (bungalow) the out through the external wall to the light. There is a box it branches from in the loft.
The question I have is:-
Where should I run the cable, as I understand that cables should not be put in cavity for various reasons. So how do I route the cable so it does not look ugly? Conduit will look tacky - Cavity not suitable from everything I've read - It should not go horizontally through both walls (ext to int) and then to loft (otherwise you don't know the cables is there hidden in wall) etc.
So suggestion or pictures on how to make the job look good, but within all the guidelines that are now required.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Regulations are not retrospective, so leave it in the cavity where it is.

As the cable looks a bit weathered I just replace it via same route? But then if I wish to add another at the other end of bungalow, I would need to follow regs and if that is the case, how should the cable be routed?

How far does it come down the wall? Surely a short length of suitable outdoor rated black cable tacked to the outside won't look too bad? Alternatively what's the inside wall structure? Solid with render or dot n dab? You could run behind the plaster with suitable conduit or a visible accessory to create a safe zone such as an fcu/FSU and RCD protection.

At the end of the day most cables going outside will pass through the cavity so there must be legit ways of doing it for longer runs in these circumstances

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back