Outside Wiring

But you want reading lists transferred to the Wiki, and posts to contain a link to the appropriate Wiki page(s). So no difference, with respect to your concern - people still get the same lists(s).
True - but since I don't expect you to stop directing people to your reading lists, they might just as well be put somewhere where they can be linked to, so saving you the trouble of repeatedly pasting them into posts and avoiding the situation in which so many threads are being littered with them.

Dare I also suggest that, if we are to have them, the reading lists could probably be made just a tad more useful to those who look at them. As I've just pointed out in another post, the first item in your latest list provides nearly two and a half million articles - I presume that you're not recommending all of them and suggesting that people read all of them, are you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't anticipate anybody following up all of them. When you are searching for things on the Internet, is it your practice to look at every hit returned by search engines?
He did, indeed, and in response, I wrote:
Of course not - but if I am being advised what to read, I don't expect to be presented with a list of ~2.5 million posibilities and left to try to work out which are the 'key' ones I ought to look at! Anyone capable of getting to this forum and posting is message is undoubtedly also capable of doing Google searches without your help. If we are to help them at all in the way you would like, we should, IMO, provide them with a short list of recommended reading.

Kind Regards, John

I wonder if it would have been safer to have given a reply along the lines of explaining the colour codes and the risks involved and what terminals to use. I'd also suggest the need for a RCCB for outside power of any sort. Is it better for the OP to do this without knowledge but correctly or to do it incorrectly?
Instead this thread seems to be an argument that has left the original question far behind.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if it would have been safer to have given a reply along the lines of explaining the colour codes and the risks involved and what terminals to use. I'd also suggest the need for a RCCB for outside power of any sort. Is it better for the OP to do this without knowledge but correctly or to do it incorrectly? Instead this thread seems to be an argument that has left the original question far behind.
I'm afraid that the original question has become an irrelevance; indeed, it became an irrelevance almost as soon as it was asked. This thread has gone the same way as so many others, and for the same reason. The first two responses to the OP were (perfectly reasonable) questions, but closely followed by:
So you think that a winning strategy for dealing with lethal voltages outside, is that you should fiddle away with no understanding whatsoever, and to blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole, without having a clue as to why? I don't think so. Here is the simplest answer you actually need: <extensive reading list>
The OP has not been seen or heard since, and, as so often, I'm hardly surprised. He presumably has either gone elsewhere for advice, or is attempting to muddle on alone without any advice.

Kind Regards, John

So you do think that him fiddling away with no understanding whatsoever, blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole, without having a clue as to why, is a good idea?

You want to support, and encourage him in that?

You don't think he should actually learn anything?

...You want to support, and encourage him in that? You don't think he should actually learn anything?
Although you don't seem to understand, you probably (as so often) deprived him of an opportunity to be helped to learn. Do you really think that after, at the start of the first real response to his OP (the first two responses having been questions) he read ...
So you think that a winning strategy for dealing with lethal voltages outside, is that you should fiddle away with no understanding whatsoever, and to blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole, without having a clue as to why?
... he will have even read as far as your suggested 'reading list' before deciding not to show himself again in the thread/forum?

Your message is very well-intentioned, and in concept very reasonable, but (IMO) the way in which you choose to deliver it is dreadful, and seriously self-defeating.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back