oven +gas hob on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planing a new ring for my kitchen (all to be notified and above board) i am also putting in a new single oven 2.8kw and a gas hob. I was anticipating putting in a radial for the oven but since it can be wired to a 13A plug i am now considering placing a dp switch on the ring above the worktop and connecting this to two non switched single sockets below the worktop. I will then rely on the 13A plug top fuse for the oven and a 3A plug top fuse for the hob.
Would you consider this to be the best practice or would a radial still be preferable? is it ok to have two sockets connected to the one switch providing they are both wired directly to it (2.5mm T&E)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
more preferable to your description would be a 13A FCU above the worktop and 2 flex outlet plates below.

But if i did that then surely the hob ignition would not be adquatly protected as it will require a 3A fuse? or did you mean two fcu's?

Batfink182 said:
But if i did that then surely the hob ignition would not be adquatly protected as it will require a 3A fuse? or did you mean two fcu's?
yeah, go on then . . . ;) wasnt thinking properly.

Sponsored Links
I would still prefer to wire it on a seperate radial from the CU. The kitchen ring will be easy enough to load up with washer, kettle, microwave, toaster, fridge, etc without an extra (nearly) 13 amps from the oven.

If you're putting it in from scratch, there's a lot to be said for a radial (or two) even though, with your current loads, you could run each of them off a fused plug.

You can put in a radial now that will carry enough amps to supply an electric hob or range if you or someone else should take a fancy to one later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back