Over-Polished Wood worktop in Kitchen - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The idiot that I am decided to add a coat of varnish/oil (for protection) to our lovely solid oak kitchen benches, the problem being I did this last Tuesday and they are still sticky to touch today (1/3/11).

I have clearly put too much of the oil/varnish on and they look horrendous when in a certain light. The Mrs is going loopy so I'm hoping someone with expertise on here can let me know the best way to rectify this situation. How do I remove the surplus oil/varnish to be able to reduce the stickyness?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
So which was it oil or varnish, varnish over a wax finish will not dry, you would need to remove it all, wire wool and a little white spirit.

white spirit and scourer pads may clear it

varnish on oil wont set very well as you have found :D :D

if that doesn't work then try a stripper like nitromors

I believed it is an oil, the oil (possibly Hardwax Oil) is for protection of the surface, it actually makes the wood go slightly darker.

Sorry if I sound like a complete novice, well I am!!

So, does the method you suggested still apply?

Sponsored Links
yes you need to remove the varnish or whatever has been added

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back