Overflow but not filling by ball cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a overflow from the hot water tank which is running water but the ball cock is tight and water is not entering the tank from that valve... could it be back preasure with water entering from somewhere else. The tank water is warm- is this normal? Any help for a competant diy'er

Sponsored Links
If the water is warm then the tank is being used by the expansion pipe, dumping excess hot water there.

THIS COULD BE A VERY DANGEROUS/SERIOUS PROBLEM...!

Please call a professional immediately...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

I think I know what it might be...

When you say the tank is overflowing, is it a tank in the loft, or where?

Do you have a hot water cylinder, usually in the airing cupboard (hot press) and is it heated by the boiler? If so, do you know how old the cylinder is?

Is the water going into the Feed and Expansion tank (small, about 2ft x 1ft) or into the cold water tank (much bigger)?

If you have both a large and a small tank, which is higher?

Does the water appear to be coming out of the vent pipe which rises above the tank and bends over it, or can you not see where it's coming from?

Sponsored Links
Got to agree with expert boy new cylinder for you as the coil inside is split, and to save any more questions sorry there is nothing else you can do about it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back