Overflowing stand pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a dishwasher what for several years has been working fine - Just recently water would come back up the stand pipe during its cycle and flood the kitchen floor - I went for the easy option that there must be a blockage in the pipe work so i disconected the trap and cleaned pipe work with metal snake - I turned my dishwasher back on sat and watched untill completed full cycle - no leaks or water coming from stand pipe - feeling very pleased with myself filled dishwasher turned on took myself off to the pub for celebration drink - returning home several shandys later could not belive my eyes kitchen floor flooded - GUTTED - cleaned floor turned dishwasher on watched through cycle no blockage or spillage - once more turnrd on put machine through cycle water comes gushing out from over the top of the stand pipe - there seems to be a intermittent fault - can anybody help.
Reg

Sponsored Links
I would remove ALL the trap and waste pipe completrly and check / clean out first. :(

its not really an intermittent fault but really a partial blockage, when you empty the dishwasher once the water is geting away but when you do it twice in quick succession there is still water in the waste causing the second discharge to overflow, you really need to strip out as much as you can, is there access to the stack connection? if so check there first then work back, if the water flooded when you were out and the dishwasher wasn't on can you work out where it came from, are you in a flat with someone upstairs? if so the main stack could be choked and spilling up the lowest outlet ie your dishwasher pipe

Yes thanks i will try that, the only trouble is that there`s no access to the pipe from the stack end as this is solvent welded - Is there a way around this ?

Sponsored Links
if the 11/2" pipe to the sink/dishwasher is solvent you could buy a McAlpine multifit straight coupling and cut the pipe for access to the main then refit using the new coupling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back