Padlocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a padlock which is really waterproof?

I have tried the Yale 'waterproof' version, with rubber sleeves where the hasp enters the body and a cap over the key entry, but before long it was not working, despite lubrication. A cheap one from Wickes hasn't even lasted six months.

In all cases the problem seems to be that the ball bearings inside, which are supposed to lock into slots in the hasp, go rusty and stick in the retracted position, ie when the lock is opened. You close the lock and it immediately springs open.

PS I need it for my back gate, if you are wondering why this in the Gardening Forum. ;)

Sponsored Links
I think the rubber coating is a bit of a gimmick.

You're better of looking for a quality traditional padlock which will use stainless steel and brass components, which are naturally corrosion resistant.

Squire 660.

The case is not watertight, but the mechanism is brass levers in a galvanised steel case. It shrugs off water. I have one on my garden gate, it is over 20 years old. I painted the outside as it gets shabby.

Squire 660.

The case is not watertight, but the mechanism is brass levers in a galvanised steel case. It shrugs off water. I have one on my garden gate, it is over 20 years old. I painted the outside as it gets shabby.
Thanks for that suggestion; I didn't know that type of padlock was still available. None of the DIY sheds stock Squire products so I'll have to try the local builders merchants and locksmiths shops.

Sponsored Links
Solved! A local hardware shop actually had all three sizes of the Squire padlock in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back