pads v rollers!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've got to paint my lounge. I'm using B&Q one coat paint - should I use a roller or one of these new fangled pad things?!

All opinions greatfully received.

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
If you search through the posts you will find that this question was covered some months ago. You may find you wont get many replies because of this.

Cheers folks - I did do a quick search and found another thread but it was 50/50!

I think I'll try the pads as I'm not fussed on getting my glasses covered in paint :)

Simon

Sponsored Links
I think paint roller are easier and make paint goes further.

The best method is to remove all traces of furniture from the room, mask the windows, and the carpet, put a large tin of emulsion in the centre of the room and buy the biggest banger you can find. Light the fuse and leave the room. Ten seconds later... room all painted.:cool:

I tried pads with B&Q one coat paint - and wished I'd never been to the d@mn shop. Ended up repainting the whole room.
The pads went straight in the bin - roller every time for me.

nice big 12" roller, does it in no time. i find pads tend to smear the paint and not cover very well.

Nobody suggesting a brush then?
A good quality brush can come close to the speed of a roller in a not-too-big room. You get a different texture of surface.
But on ceilings - roller every time - on the end of a long pole so that any spray is not on me. Works well when the ceilings are 10 feet up.

Don't use one coat paint, devils spawn as far as I'm concerned,

Yuk !!!

and its usually a lie, doesn't matter what paint your using if you are covering a dark colour with light or vice versa or covering yellow, what a ****er to cover. They have this lovely get out clause on the pot it says that certain applications may need more than one coat, in my experience that means all applications.Never yet found a paint that covers 100% of the wall satisfactorly in one coat.

I used to remember the non-drip emulsion in the tray which is great for ceiling, don't seem to do it anymore unless they are still around :?:

Eddie M said:
Don't use one coat paint, devils spawn as far as I'm concerned

Well, that's a good point actually.

With the tester it looked like it would need two coats anyway :(

We're putting a light ivory over a dark terracotta!

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back