Paint bubbling

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed this evening that there was a large patch of bubbling paint on the wall. I went over and ran my finger over it and it all flaked off in my hand.

This bubbling has only appeared in the last day (the bubbling is in a very obvious place), what could have caused this?

http://www.btinternet.com/~tom.garrett1/IMG_1399.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is that a solid wall? Could be that you have efflorescence under the paint making it blister/bubble up??? or there is old distemper underneath? Who knows.

Roughcaster.

Its an extension built 10 years ago and the paint is from that era.

The wall is external and further inspection reveals that the plaster is damp and the problem is worse at the bottom of the wall than the top (at the bottom it sounds like the plaster has come off the wall).

I am assuming that this is water coming in from the outside, possibly from the top of the garage roof (which is floor level in this room).

I have no idea where to start trying to find where the water is coming in from or how to fix it, would home insurance sort this out for me?

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at the flashing on the garage roof? The damp/water will probably be coming in through the brickwork if the flashing/joint is not 100%. Ask a local builder/roofer for advice....You could ask your insurance company if you would be covered for any damage caused.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back