Paint cracking - advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Peeps,

I'm a painting newbie and am faced with a problem of paint cracking. I don;t know what the previous owner did to the walls of my room but all the wall paint is cracking but not peeling (firmly glued to the wall). What is causing this and how can I rectify it?

Here's a picture.

http://90.202.16.73/mywall.jpg

TIA[/url]

Sponsored Links
texto said:
Hello Peeps,

I'm a painting newbie and am faced with a problem of paint cracking. I don;t know what the previous owner did to the walls of my room but all the wall paint is cracking but not peeling (firmly glued to the wall). What is causing this and how can I rectify it?

Here's a picture.

http://90.194.97.246/mywall.jpg

TIA[/url]

You may have had someone paint emulsion over gloss or grease ( i.e. unprepared walls) or some sort of special finish???

It this is the case - you may need to sand the surface down and clean it throroughtly before repainting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Between the cracks I can see orange colour. I'm not sure what it is. Wallpaper glue?

It seems like a lot of work?

It looks to me as if an One-Coat Matt Emulsion has been applied over either Oil-Based Gloss or an Shiny Vinyl Silk Emulsion.

The effect on your pic can be caused by applying to many coats one after another or One-Coat Emulsions reation above heat or an cheap emulsion being used over an sheen coating or it is an longterm effect of One-Coat Emulsion as it is toooo thick for to paint.

Also, there can be unknown reasons why it has happened as you never tell what some people put on walls. i.e. Oil-Based Varnish etc........

probably caused by not letting each coat dry propaly before applying the next

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back