Paint is peeling - HELP needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I moved into an old 1900s property recently and I DIY repainted the walls about 3 months ago. Most of the painting was directly onto the old paint and other parts on the old plaster directly where the old paint peeled off or sanded off.

Today I am seeing bubbling in a few parts of the wall. You can also see the newly painted part breaking in places.
One part I thought could be fixed by applying a layer of white filler then white primer and then paint - I left this for a while before painting and as you can see it has started to bubble up again.

What is causing this? is this damp?
How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• wall4.jpeg
    wall4.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
  • wall3.jpeg
    wall3.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 18
  • wall2.jpeg
    wall2.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 18
  • wall1.jpeg
    wall1.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Bare plaster has to be sealed with a mist coat to prevent paint from bubbling up.

PVA splashes, typically found on new plaster, can cause paint to bubble up.

Is it original plaster, or the original 1900s plaster?

How 'old' did the old paint that you painted over look?

Have your walls been skimmed with new plaster, or is it the original 1900s plaster?

Most houses in the early 1900s were painted with distemper or lime wash or whatever, which would have wallpapered over for decades.

However, modern emulsion is very good at lifting 100 year old distemper.

If you DO have distemper, lime wash, or similar - then really and truly it needs removing, with warm water.

EDIT. I can see what might be new pink plaster at the bottom of the wall - hopefully this will eliminate the talk on 1900s plaster and distemper etc...

If your paint is only peeling in a few places, you may get away with sticking some oil-based undercoat on the affected areas. But other areas could start to peel.

If your walls have been re-skimmed with new plaster, if a mist coat hasn't been applied, then the paint is likely to bubble up.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back