Paint & Plaster Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(deep breath) just had our walls skimmed to perfection and whilst I went away for the weekend my husband decided to be "helpful" and paint the walls (this, after he watched me painstakingly 'size' the ceiling with 2 coats of emulstion / water mix before painting) ... he went straight ahead and painted neat matt emulsion onto the bare plaster.
Not surprisingly he has used 5 litres of paint and only managed to paint 3 walls. (room is 6m x 4m and about 2.6m high).
I'm a complete diy newbie (altho even I knew that painting straight onto bare plaster is a no-no).
What is likely to happen? Will the paint peel off? Will the walls be totally ruined? Is there anything we can do to salvage this? :cry:

Sponsored Links
I don't think anything will happen beyond wastage of paint. In any case, what does it matter? If it does peel for whatever reason, worry about it when it happens.

If it peels, it will do so in bits. You'll need a blowlamp to get the bits that stick off.

You could start investigating blowlamps now... :LOL:

The paint will have no adhesion; if it doesn't blister, flake & fall off of it’s own accord, it will certainly come off in sheets at some point in the future the first time anyone tries to remove any wallpaper that’s been stuck onto it.

Sponsored Links
Stop worrying; we painted straight onto bare plaster on all our ceilings seven years ago and everything is just fine.

rubin it down will be you best bet but only if the paint u have used is matt emulsion
if u put silk or vinyl u can call the plasterer back and get him to start all over again
it is an absolute disaster what u have done
and if u dont belive me just put a lamp or any other light at 45 degres on each wall that u have painted and u will understand what i mean

oh and see if u put silk or vinyl , the plasterer will have to score the whole area u have painted in order to provide a key for the new plaster so it will cost more

I just hope its matt emulsion u have used

Try watering down the colour paint you want to put on the wall. if its not trade paint only water down a little if its trade paint a 1/4 of a cup will do and mix well. should be ok if not yes rub down wall .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back