Paint Stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to strip off Paint off my Bannisters but the paint isn't coming off. I'm using a Heat gun and tried Nitromors but the paint isn't coming off.
What Should I Be Doing??
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you really want this stuff removed and neither of them are working i would try caustic soda but be carefull as the stuff is deadly if used wrong.

and make sure you protect everything including yourself as this stuff burns like hell

Steve

You might want to check out the ad at the top of this page - Peelaway 1.

I have never used this product but colleagues have and say it is good, though somewhat expensive.

Paint stripping is very time consuming, especially when removing many layers, so maybe you will just have to persevere with the heat gun an Nitromors.

If you are trying to remove paint (rather than varnish/stain/shellac) with a view to having a plain/natural wood finish then it might be cheaper to replace the banisters.

PealAway is very good but expensive and slow to apply. You "trowel" it on and then cover it with film. Wait a few hours and then pull the film off.

You will still need to use nitomors and a fine wire brush for the tight details.

Then you will need to neutralise the wood and sand it back with sandpaper and webrax.

If the banisters are french polish/shellac then use meths or household amonia. In this case peelaway will not work

If the paintwork is not too bad and you want to repaint then just fill and sand the dents as required rather than stripping.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
There are many other strippers out there. Go for a safe one such as RemovAll, which I have used successfully a number of times. Doesn't quite do what it says on the tin but it's pretty good on most things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back