painting an enamel rayburn.. i know its not ideal but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i Have an old rayburn in my house, its white with black parts and black top, but in bad shape with stains, a failed paint touch up and chips in several places. we have used it a couple of times, but really just as a secondary wood burner heater on rare occasions, its really more of a kitchen ornament for the moment untill i decide to either sell it or refurbish it.

for the meantime i am trying to do a budget makeover of the kitchen and the rayburn is in dire need of some kind of facelift, now i know it is enamel and should be either touched up with an enamel repair kit or professionally re-enameled, but i dont think either option is much use for me, i live in the shetland isles and this poses alot of problems, and my budget isnt going to allow for much to be spent on this.

My idea is to use the matte black stove paint which comes in spray tins and remove the enamel parts and rayburn badge, then spray it all matte black and polish up the chrome parts and badge and put them back.i figured this paint will be good in terms of heat resistance

I need advice though.. im guessing the spraypaint wont adhere well to the enamel, so i wanted to know how best to prepare the surface, should i try to sand the surface to give a better key? or use some kind of primer? guessing it would also need to be heat resistant...

also the top surface is gloss black enamel right now but badly chipped etc, im guessing this is going to be the worst surface for the new paint to adhere to long term with more chance of scratching rubbing etc, so i guess if you think its a waste of time to spray this surface also i could leave this bit and leave it gloss black, but id prefer it all the same if you think it would work.

any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back