Painting artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading everything on here about artex ceilings but I can't find an answer so I wonder if anybody knows.

My house has artex ceilings throughout and I most definitely don't have the money to cover them all up. As they're not in bad condition what I'd like to do is a little filling here and there, maybe paint them (though I keep reading posts about paint cracking) or even just clean them and live with it for a while. I'm concerned about the asbestos element and I'd rather leave them as they are than risk my health.

I'd love to know more about my options

Carol

Sponsored Links
In my flat all ceilings are artexed,apart from the bathroom ceiling,all are in good condition.Painting them isnt to bad,as the artex isnt too deep. :)

How old is your place Carol...asboestos hasnt been used in Artex FOR YEARS NOW...AND EVEN IF YOURS DID HAVE A SMALL AMOUNT IN IT THE CEILING WOULD HAVE BEEN PAINTED BY THEN

(sorry just spotted caps..but im not typing that lot again :rolleyes: )

There wont be a significant health risk to you.

Thanks for the replies

My house is about 100 years old but who knows when the artexing was done. The ceilings do look as id they've been painted but I'm no expert on what artex looks like when unpainted. Some of them need a little filling here and there hence my concern about health.

Nothing came up in the survey about asbestos to be sure.

I kept reading posts on here about people painting artex ceilings and then then peeling which I would really like to avoid. I've spotted a couple inside cupboards so I thought I'd try those first just to make sure.

Sponsored Links
Hi Carol

Jump up a pair of steps and lightly rub your hand over the artex...if you get a powery coating on your hand it will mean it hasnt been painted.

Plus you should be able to see brush or roller marks in it.

But Asbestos hasnt been used since about the end of the 80's (i think)..so I really think it will be ok

As regards painting it...it wont flake or peel providing you thin the first coat out a little..say about 15-20%

Hi Carol

Jump up a pair of steps and lightly rub your hand over the artex...if you get a powery coating on your hand it will mean it hasnt been painted.

Plus you should be able to see brush or roller marks in it.

But Asbestos hasnt been used since about the end of the 80's (i think)..
so I really think it will be ok

As regards painting it...it wont flake or peel providing you thin the first coat out a little..say about 15-20%

That's correct Zampa. The manufacturers made a big thing about it at that time(mid 80's ish) with the wording on the bag,by declaring their products were, "ASBESTOS FREE"!!!!!!!......... I wonder what the manufacturers of the new low energy light bulbs will have to say about the health hazzard that has just been "brought to light", about mercury being used in their manufacture. The experts said at the weekend that if you break one of these bulbs,open the window and leave the room for 15 minutes,after that brush it up carefuly,put it into a plastic bag and take it to you re-cycling centre for special disposal. These bulbs also cause migrane attacks and skin allergies. Ordinary light bulbs are being phased out by 2011. All this was in the news in the past 10 days. Now where did I put the candles???

Roughcaster.

Thank you so much. This all certainly corresponds with what I've been doing. I tried my sample patch (before I read about thinning the paint) and it did crack but only a bit so I have another cupboard ceiling I'll try the thinning idea on. I honestly don't think it's ever been painted as it has no brush marks (whereas my sample bit does have many now)

Do any of you know how I should prepare it for painting as it's pretty grimy. The previous owners were smokers and couldn't emulsion in a straight line for money

Carol

Hi Carol

I'll testify to that :D, I am doing a whole house full of Artex ceilings, the ceilings started off with a smaller artex, but you should see the Artex in two of the rooms, talk about peaks lol

Hi Carol

I'll testify to that :D, I am doing a whole house full of Artex ceilings, the ceilings started off with a smaller artex, but you should see the Artex in two of the rooms, talk about peaks lol

Did you rub them over with baby oil first?? :evil:

I recently did a couple of ceilings never been painted before but yellow with smoke...problem...you cant wash them because it will wash the Artex off..I went over them with a weak bleach solution using a garden sprayer thing then mixed PVA with the first coat of vinyl matt...allowe dit to settle for a couple of days then second coated.

Worked a treat.

Well I cleaned it all with sugar soap and painted with the 25% water 75% paint and then with 100% paint and it all looks good. Fingers crossed it'll stay that way. 3 done and 3 to go - phew!

Well done...good for you..I know where to come when I want someone to clean ceilings for me now! lol

Lordy no, this is definitely a one-off, No more artex for me. Thanks for everything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back