Painting behind gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so looking for a little advice about what I can & can't do here.
I have a pretty old Parkison Cowan Acclaim gas cooker (C. 30 years)-
rbfm2r.jpg

I want to repaint in the kitchen, which will involve doing down the side and behind the cooker. Looking behind the cooker, I have a copper pipe going approx 3ft up from the floor, which then is connected to a ?rubber? hose about 2ft long which goes in a U-shape into the back of the cooker, and I'm presuming into a bayonet fitting which I can't see.
Questions:
1. Can I disconnect and reconnect myself to move the cooker out completely, or is this a job for a gas person?
2. At every service of the boiler & cooker (Previous was 6 months ago), I get a NCS on the cooker, due to lack of FSD & FFD, therefore I'm not sure if disconnected, it can be reconnected at all?
3. If I *can't* disconnect entirely, can I simply disconnect the safety chain and pull out as far as the hose goes?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
yes you can disconnect and reconnect the bayonet push the bayonet up slightly and twist the knurled bit the bayonet will then release. to reconnect push up and twist to relock

don't be confused by the NCS's these are purely to advise that the cooker does not meet the current safety standards
FSD - Flame supervision device and FFD flame failure device these are fitted to modern cookers to ensure they work correctly and/or switch off the gas should the flame go out for any reason.

stability chains should be refitted to prevent the cooker toppling over causing harm to someone and also to hopefully prevent the gas pipe being ripped off the wall.

Thanks peeps :)

If in doubt, ask where gas is concerned.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back