Painting Door Frames - 12 Year Old House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We’re in the process of completely renovating a property which we have just moved into and is 12 years old.

The old skirting and architraves have been removed to be replaced and I have sanded down (120 grit) the door frames removing caulk, debry and loose cracked original paint. Rhe surfaces are now a smooth finish with the odd area of original wood showing ready for the undercoat.

As it’s only been painted once before (when built), have I done my prep correctly as we are spending a lot of money on kitchens and bathrooms and I want everything to be completed to and look 100% professional standard?
I have read some articles which have stated to use paint stripper and/or use a heat gun to strip the paint off. My understanding was one or two coats of paint can be left as a bond for the new paint etc.

Look forward to your thoughts...

Chris

Sponsored Links
If the paint is smooth and sound just prime bare areas and then undercoat and two top coats.
Check for any exposed knots and treat them with two coats of Zinsser BIN it is better in my view than standard knotting.

Thanks @footprints for the advice :)
Will get some of this stuff. I think my frames are a type of MDF but there will be fixing nails so I will paint the frame with Zinsser to be sure. One, two coats and then two coats of undercoat or one before too coats?

Cheers, Chris

Sponsored Links
If they are MDF don't worry using BIN it is VERY fast drying so only needed on knots or stains it's mythelated spirit based so cleaning bushes can be tricky. just use a normal primer for bare patches and undercoat for the full area. I often touch the nails up with one of those primer touch up paints with a tiny brush in them from car shops before filling but as a rule unless the are old and rusty they don't leach through BIN should seal rust but expensive to buy just for that alone.
Good stuff when you have a problem though.
http://www.zinsseruk.com/core/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/B-I-N.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back