Painting kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to update our kitchen as it's going to be a few years until we can replace it.

What's the best method for changing the door colour? Sanding, priming, spraying, brushing?

Any do's or dont's? Any reccommended products?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s not that simple, ie colours,texture,finishes handles and hinges etc, can you upload a photo of the units in situ?

What's the best method for changing the door colour?

Replacement doors. They can be much cheaper than you think.

Measure all your old ones. They are probably standard sizes.

Measure the distance from the centres of the hinges to the top or bottom of the door (there are a couple of standards)

Sponsored Links
Replacement doors. They can be much cheaper than you think.

Measure all your old ones. They are probably standard sizes.

Measure the distance from the centres of the hinges to the top or bottom of the door (there are a couple of standards)

I didn't consider that. However, we have quite a few end panels. Oven housing, stand alone cupboard, end panels of base and wall units. I wouldn't want to leave the existing mismatched with doors!

Also available.

You can also use doors as decor panels, they match better. Usually the 600mm wide ones. Flat doors can easily be cut to size, panelled ones, not so much.

I actually bought a palletload of a discontinued range, when I moved house and wanted the same one I'd had when preparing my old house for sale. I got them at clearance price from a regional warehouse.

But you can buy standard doors very cheaply, if you avoid High-Street showrooms.

I didn't consider that. However, we have quite a few end panels. Oven housing, stand alone cupboard, end panels of base and wall units. I wouldn't want to leave the existing mismatched with doors!

You could always paint the end panels to match the new doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back