Painting kitchen tile advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had black ceramic tiles and painted over them with V33 tile paint, it was a great job, looked like new tiles but the colour was wrong, instead of painting over that colour with V33 in white I went for rust oleum universal all surface paint, but the tiles look painted. What do I need to do to be able to paint over them again with V33 tile paint ie, which primer should I use. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can't quite follow your post (possibly my fault given how much I drank yesterday).

What colour did you first paint the tiles? And why did you decide to use the rustoleum?

As a decorator, my advice would be that paint over tiles is not a good idea, but, that said, so long as no one interacts with the tiles, you should be fine. V33 is a waterbaed paint. If used on kitchen tiles, any areas subjected to oil splashes will become soft and easy to scratch off. If used in a bathroom, any steam will make the paint become soft (and again prone to scratching off).

I think you are complaining about the visible build up of paint on the tiles. You can sand any high spots back. I would recommend Abranet (or something similar). As an "open" mesh abrasive, it is less prone to clogging. Waterbased finishes are prone to clogging abrasives.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. In the V33 I painted the tiles a light grey and then realised I should have painted them white. You asked why I chose rust-oleum, that’s the question I keep asking myself, a big mistake, I should have stuck with V33 but sure you live & learn. Can I ask you, if I wanted to paint over the tiles again in V33 would I be able to, if I used the zinsser bullseye 123 primer? What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Although having read your reply and you know what you’re talking about, I might just leave them as they are ( they look great but I’m fussy) and use the Abranet to sand the annoying bits. I have to tell you that I have had to resort to doing most handi work myself, it’s so difficult to get a tradesman to do anything. Ive no doubt you’re the exception

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back