painting on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i painted directly onto new plaster which i now know was wrong, and it left a swirly pattern in the paint, i have spent days and days washing of the paint and now it is back to plaster but the plaster still has the pattern in it that was there when i painted it, i have bought some new plaster sealant but am concerned that if i paint it again the pattern will still be there, do you think i should get it replastered, help x

Sponsored Links
i used undercoat and applied it with a brush, i did'nt however thin the paint which i thought caused the problem, but i have washed and scraped all the paint off but there is still a pattern in the plaster which i now think was there when i started, so could it be the plaster that is the problem?

:confused:

Do you mean oil based undercoat??

Normally we apply a mist coat to new plaster, its watered down emulsion (25-30%) it allows the 'thirsty' plaster to draw in water from the paint. This satisfies the porousity of the plaster to prevent it sucking the water out of a normal coat which causes bad adhesion and cracking and peeling.
Its best applied with a brush to cut in and a roller for the rest.

Probably the best thing for you to do now as long as you havn't left a raised texture is to apply a coat of zinsser gardz, this will seal the wall, take care of the porousity of the plaster and basically give you a blank canvass to start again.

My only worry is if you did apply oil based u/c to a bare plaster wall is it can cause saponification which is a soapy material leeching from the plaster caused by a reaction between alkali salts in the plaster and the oil in the paint, so need to know what you mean by undercoat

Sponsored Links
Also if you think you had a pattern in the plaster before you started are you sure it was dry?

i left it nearly three months before i painted so was fairly sure it was dry, and i applied a water based emulsion, but did'nt thin it but the patterned bits can be scraped off leaving a darker and porous finish do you think i should try ths before using the sealant you suggest or just put the sealent over it and then paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back