Painting technique using Silk emulsion...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I'd like to say I have never painted a wall before until now, so apologies in advance!!

I painted one room using a matt emulsion and it was ok overall. There was one small bit where when the light catches it, it does look a bit streaky. My problem is my dog - only days after, she jumped on the wall and made it dirty!

I am redecorating my new flat so I then decided that the rest would have to be with paint that is wipeable!

B&Q suggested silk emulsion which I used today. I have only done the first coat but it looks VERY streaky!

I used a roller.

What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend 2 coats on walls, you may be doing fine so give it another coat and see what the results are.

Just a few pointers: work in straight lines up and down (don't start in the middle like DIY vids suggest) blend in each column as you go and pull the roller away from the wall while it is still spinning also try to do it at a cooler time of day just so it doesn't dry to quickly.

I would always recommend 2 coats on walls, you may be doing fine so give it another coat and see what the results are.

Just a few pointers: work in straight lines up and down (don't start in the middle like DIY vids suggest) blend in each column as you go and pull the roller away from the wall while it is still spinning also try to do it at a cooler time of day just so it doesn't dry to quickly.

So would you recommend rolling from top to bottom in one go?? I have been rolling from top to half way.

Also should you have too much paint on the roller rather than not enough? When I put a lot on it I find the paint on the wall goes bobbly. I have been rolling over the area quite a bit hoping to blend in the bobbly or overly wet bits. Is this where I am going wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back