Painting the stairs banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Abit nervous about doing this, well no not nervous just lacking confidence. Does this sound right?

Something like;

034+Banister.jpg

It has just been made and its going to be glossed. I know i have to fill it and sand it down. is it ok to use water based undercoat and primer? because it will be oil gloss. The curved bits can be rounded of with a brush and i could use a form roller? Also where would i start? (under the banister, top of banister, spindles and the bottom?) i will use spirits to thin down the gloss

thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes a waterbased primer undercoat will be fine, as a topcoat try Crown Solo, it is self undercoating and will offer you a sheen level that will frankly astound you, don't forget to lightly abrade between coats.

Dec

Sorry, forgot the starting point. Do the spindles and underside of the top edge working in a downward manner bringing in the bottom, then to finish do the top of the handrail. There is really no defined method of application yet it is important to keep a wet edge.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot the starting point. Do the spindles and underside of the top edge working in a downward manner bringing in the bottom, then to finish do the top of the handrail. There is really no defined method of application yet it is important to keep a wet edge.

Spot on! Just one thing Dec must have forgotten to mention is to use a knotting solution on any knots in the wood before the primer. ;)

Spot on Mr H, I did indeed forget to mention it, well spotted and thanks.

Dec

Thanks TheDec & misterhelpful, you are both very knowledgeable. I forgot to take pics today. i have undercoated it but i am abit worried about how much undercoat to put on. Right now its nice n smooth after my light rub down, looks good a little thin but i hope it will be ok.

Also on the glossing around the curved bits. Go around with the brush then on the straight bits go down with the gran. I don't think you can with the gran on the curved bits.

Kevin,

I think a pic may just be of help here, then be prepared to answer a few more questions, and we will do our very best to help and guide you in the right direction.

Dec

I think I understand what you mean by painting the curved bits. I tend to get the paint on as evenly as possible before laying off the main parts of the spindles in the direction of the grain and then go around the 'curved bits' (beads and coves). Trying to go with the grain on these parts can lead to runs in the paint so I think you are on the right track.

As for the primer undercoat looking thin, I like to try and obliterate everything before glossing which can sometimes mean a few coats, but as the Solo recommended is self undercoating, you may be alright to go ahead.

I think the best thing is to do as Dec suggests and post a pic so we can advise you a bit better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back