painting/wallpapering after new plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After trawling through many post about the best way to paint new plaster skim on walls and ceilings i have come up with a plan of action.

I am hoping the more experienced of you will be able to confirm before i start making a mess.

Firstly, on the walls and ceilings that will be painted only i am planning on doing 2 mist coats 4:1 with dulux trade supermatt, then once dry i will be using dulux matt emulsion as the top coat.

How does this sound so far? Should the first mist coat dry completely before doing the second?

Secondly, the missus wants to wallpaper a single feature wall, so can i paint the wall in the same way and then wallpaper it, or should the wallpaper go straight over the new skim?

I would like to know whats best should we decide to remove the wallpaper in the future?

Thanks in advance

Ant

Sponsored Links
You will get varied opinions on this but from a plasterers approach; leave new skim 10 days to dry out; I mist using cheap own brand matt white emulsion thinned 25-30% (slightly thinner than your 20%) & apply 2/3 coats in quick succession (before the previous is dry) which helps adhesion. Leave to dry overnight before applying your chosen finish.

If wall papering new plaster, this seems a logical approach taken from another thread, but credit to dcdec not me;
Quick tip, if your going to paper dont mist coat with emulsion as in years to come when the paper is stripped it will pull the emulsion off creating a heavily pitted surface. Use a paste size or for best results for the future seal the plaster with zinsser guardz, its around £25 a gallon but will leave an excellent paintable surface, seal the walls and make the paper easier to strip. I know your probably not too worried about ten years time but its a really nice professional approach for future applications or the next chap that comes along to do it.

I’ve no experience of this as I usually only mist coat new plaster work I’ve done to show up any minor blemishes needing attention (none usually), ready for the customer to apply their chosen finish.

thanks for your reply.

So, my plan is basically correct, except i should be applying the second mist coat before the first has dried.

Does anyone have any experience of using zinsser guardz? Is it worth the extra time & money?

Sponsored Links
except i should be applying the second mist coat before the first has dried.
It’s what I always do but others will say it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any experience of using zinsser guardz? Is it worth the extra time & money?
It may have added benefit but “is it worth the extra time & money”, not for me I'm afraid, I wouldn’t bother. You can use size on the papered walls instead but that will give you problems later if you decide to strip the paper & paint. I would mist as usual, apply a couple of full coats next day & then paper over that when it’s dry. If the mist coats are well adhered, (they are the way I do it), the paper should not pull the emulsion off later unless the plaster has been over polished or there has been PVA contamination of the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back