papering window reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise me how to avoid finishing the paper on the external edge of a window reveal.
Whichever way I do it, it will not cover both the head and side reveals of the window recess.
In the past I have gently removed the excess with fine sandpaper on the top edge, but surely there must be a better way than this.
What do you pro's do?

Sponsored Links
This is very hard to describe on here but Ill have a go..

Are you taking a triangluar pice out of the top of the piece that goes in the reveal and also out of the head?

Its a common mistake that people make thinking that the paper can go into the reveal AND under the head..its impossible.

Theres a few ways around it depending on the paper your hanging.

One...once you have the paper stuck to the face of the wall cut (with scissors) the paper into the cill then cut along the outside angle on the head of the window back towards the corner...then tuck the paper into the reveal and trim it into the window.

Then...find a piece that matches the pattern oh the head of the windo and stick it under the head..now you have two options...either carfeully cut along the head of the window from underneath back into the corner or lift the paper above the window and slip it under it...if its a thick paper you will have to splice through the two pices and take out the excess..if its a vinyl you will have to use overlap adhesive on it.

Another way..and the way I prefer is do the first part..i.e cutting top and bottom and trim the paper into the reveal..then, find a piece that matches the pattern of the paper thats stuck to the wall above the window..paste it and stick it over that piece completly then cut through the two pieces...down to the place in the external angle where the bottom of the head meets the top of the reveal..throw away the off cut on the top and the piece from the full length beneath it...then tuck the bit thats hanging down over the window off and trim it in.

Sorry if that souldns long winded but its very hard to explain...(but fairly easy to do.)

This is very hard to describe on here but Ill have a go..

Another way..and the way I prefer is do the first part..i.e cutting top and bottom and trim the paper into the reveal..then, find a piece that matches the pattern of the paper thats stuck to the wall above the window..paste it and stick it over that piece completly then cut through the two pieces...down to the place in the external angle where the bottom of the head meets the top of the reveal..throw away the off cut on the top and the piece from the full length beneath it...then tuck the bit thats hanging down over the window off and trim it in.

Sorry if that souldns long winded but its very hard to explain...(but fairly easy to do.)

Phew!!! rather you than me Zampa, as I read the OP question, and thought 'whats the easiest way to explain it'?

You did a grand job :D

BTW, the above method is normally the way I do it. :D

Many thanks for the time you took to explain that Zampa, particularly as I was unsure if I had explained the problem properly.

Sponsored Links
I do it that way but when saw the question thought, this is ganna be difficult to explain. Prob better with pictures i supose. :eek:

Cheers 'paintyspice' & Robbie when I was writing that I started to feel like the only person in the world who did it that way!..must admit I did think..**** this for a game of soldiers a couple of times! lol

Yeh your right there..I had a look through some of the books ive got here but nothing explained the second method...which seems to be the preference of us 'pros'...But isnt a widely known DIY method

Im still not sure if its clear enough..its easy visualising it when you know what you mean..but is it straight forward to others.?

Many thanks for the time you took to explain that Zampa, particularly as I was unsure if I had explained the problem properly.

Was you cutting diagonally into the outside corner where the head meets the reveal?..its easy done..I bet Robbie, Painty Spice and any other decorator thought..' I bet I know what they have done'

Heres the first way...im sorry Couldnt find anything on the more advanced method..

images.jpg

I sometimes do the way the picture shows, depending on the paper also, like Zamps says, if you do it that way with vinyl paper, make sure you run a bit of overlap adhesive along, to help the paper to stick on the overlap bit, if you havent overlap adhesive, you can use a little bit of decorators caulk, but dont have it too thick, sort of spread it out, get a damp cloth and press the paper down, or as a last resort,specially if you havent of the adhesive or caulk at hand, dab some PVA on instead. :oops:

This might help as well have a look at the second lot of pics.

http://www.hometips.com/install/paint_wallpaper/wallpapering_openings.html

Zampa wrote
Was you cutting diagonally into the outside corner where the head meets the reveal?..its easy done..I bet Robbie, Painty Spice and any other decorator thought..' I bet I know what they have done'

No, surprisingly I was doing it the way you showed. I just thought that there must be a better way of doing it.
Another method I have used in the past is to stick some plastic angle bead over the top external angle to hide the join, this obviously depends on the type of paper which you are using and the colour of the plastic angle bead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back