parliament hinges / rising butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds a bit strange but does anyone know if there is a parliament hinge that operates like a rising butt hinge?

I suspect the strain would be quite heavy, but I have a workshop door that has parliament hinges because it needs to open back against the wall, but as the path rises any small piece of debris catches underneath.

Thanks,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Never heard of a Parliament hinge that also incorporates a rising action. You could cut the door to suit and replace this with a brush gasket I suppose. I've also seen a rising roller used in situations like this. Or how about replacing the full door with a pair of folding doors, presuming it's only the outmost edge that creates the problem...pinenot :)

Thanks Pinenot,
I have been toying with the idea of resetting the hinges slightly tilted and the lower one slightly forward of the upper one. Kinda trying to get my head around wether that would work or just be a total pigs ear!

providing the knuckles are in line
in other words both hinges will be angled at say 87 degrees or around 3 degrees off vertical so the pivot points line up
also you would need greater edge clearance at the greater throw

plus the door above the top hinge will kick in when open not a lot perhaps 2-5 mm so if the clearance is tight you will need to take it into account

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pinenot,
I have been toying with the idea of resetting the hinges slightly tilted and the lower one slightly forward of the upper one. Kinda trying to get my head around wether that would work or just be a total pigs ear!

Depends on the amount of clearance you need, moving the hinge alignment is fairly normal. Obviously throwing the bottom hinge out will throw the opening corner upwards, I alway take out two/three screws of the top hinge leaving the top one, which a slacken. then I cut and glue in sharpened dowel/splinters of wood which get hammered in full depth and snapped off. I do this to stop the old screw holes pulling the hinge to it's original position...pinenot :)

Thaks guys as it is my workshop door, a very snug fit is not required so I think it is worth a go if there are no super duper hinges I can use ;)

Regards,
footprints

Footprints
Did you resolve your problem with a finding or developing a rising parliament hinge?
CuriousBuilder

More or less, I did the thing of moving the bottom hinge out slightly which helped a bit. However we decided to replace the old concrete with brick sets and the final level was a bit better so now it clears.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back