Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so bear with me.
I would here be interested to hear the forums thoughts on my situation, with regard to part P.
I am employed full time in the automotive industry as a Maintenance technician( electrical and mechanical maintenance and installation work).
I am time served and qualified to HNC level in Multi-discipline engineering(electrically biased). I also hold City and Guilds BS7671 16th edition and 2391 electrical inspection and testing.
I do not need to conform to part P for my full time job. However I also do electrical work for a local building company (mainly extra sockets and lighting in conservatories and sunrooms) and would like to continue to do so.
I have looked into it, and it would appear that I could continue to do conservatories as long as I extend the ring and do not add a new circuit.
Sunrooms appear to be a different matter, since the construction comes under building control and no matter how minor the electrical work is, this must also be controlled.
Another problem I see is that in order to be assessed for the competent persons scheme, the nominated supervisor must be a full time employee, which of course I am not.
I'd appreciate any comments or advice any body has.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
What about registering yourself as a self-employed kitchen fitter, or whatever, under NICEICs "other trades domestic installer" scheme?

The your local building contractor could legitimately hire you on a sub-contractor basis, I would have thought.

That sounds interesting, I've never heard of the other trades thing.
Do you have any more info?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back