Partial garage conversion ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to convert part of my integral garage into an office space at the rear with a small garage remaining at the front.
I am going through Building Control and understand I will require some ventilation but there will be no window or access to any external wall as one side is the hall way and the other is the neighbours garage, with the rear wall backing onto the lounge. And to top it off above the garage is a bedroom.

How can I provide ventilation to this new office room? Would venting to the garage space be sufficient? Would I need an extract fan? The size of the office will be approximately 2.6x2.3m once insulation and everything is fitted.

Here is a picture of the house and a plan view to get a better understanding.

Thanks

Gareth

Sponsored Links
I would try the angle you have already suggested ie venting into the garage space as that presumably has a leaky garage door so a vented space in its own right. I did something similar when I needed to retain ventilation to a living room and we added a conservatory onto the only external door/window, it had a trickle vent and as we added vents to the conservatory BC were happy to accept it.

If someone did that conversion, without BC notification, and lived in the property for say 20 years then died - would there be big repercussions for the inheritors, hypothetically of course ;)

Sponsored Links
Not after 20 years, in fact BC could not prosecute or take action after one year, unless there was a threat to life, for which there is not time period. Regarding planning, even if it needed panning, after 4 years then it would become immune from prosecution and effectively legal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back