Patching in a corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a section of plasterboard in the top corner of a wall - about 2.5 foot square, then this will be skimmed over to blend in with the rest of the wall. What do I do with the other two sides of the corner (ceiling and adjacent wall which are skimmed and painted plasterboard)? I assume they need to be taped, but then do you just add a few inches of skim to blend over the tape and into the painted wall?

Sponsored Links
You would tape all the joints around the patch, inluding the wall corner/ceiling joint as you said, then you're ready to blend in the patch with skim finish plaster. When it comes to blending over the piece of tape on the ceiling and down the corner, because they are painted plasterboard, you could either brush on a very small amount of pva then put on an inch or so of skim while the pva is still tacky, or you could rough the paint up with a very "rough sandpaper" to give the paint a key for the skim. I often use a drop of readymix to tie/tape in along a painted surface, with no adhesion problems whatsoever.

thanks - would you (or should I specify - a novice!) do it in two stages? I mean, does it make it any easier or harder to skim over both sides of the taped corner together or do one side first and then the second side when the first has gone off?

It is harder to plaster an internal corner wet to wet, especially for a novice. Give it a go if you think you can do it, but i think you'd be better doing as you suggested, plaster the main bit, let it set, then do the small return along the ceiling and wall corner.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back