Patchy Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have patchy looking painted walls, all walls are effected although the walls that have direct light on them are most noticeable.

Preparation
Walls washing down with sugar soap.

Equipment
9" B&Q roller 1st & 2nd coats.
9" Purdy Colossus roller 3rd coat.
Dulux Once Mat Emulsion - Almond White

Room ventilated, mild day & heating not on.

I got incomplete coverage with the first coat, I don't remember whether it was patchy probably cause I was distracted by the fact it didn't do what it said on the tin!
The walls didn't get a 2nd coat for 24hrs. I added a small amount of water to make paint less thick. It achieved complete coverage but dried very patchy.
Having read several posts on this forum I put this down to type of paint & user error (going over areas more than once and delays whilst refilling roller tray etc)
The 3rd coat was applied using new roller, ensured generous application of paint & taking care not to go back over areas already covered. The 3rd coat is now dry & still appears patchy :(

Any suggestions/advice on how I can get rid of the patchy painted walls and products I should used would be very much appreciated.

Nightowl003

I've done a far bit of decorating over the years and never had this problem before.

Sponsored Links
It could be the Dulux Once. I usually thin this down and do two coats as the one coat is a bit thick and in my opinion doesn't cover very well. That's how they get it to cover... because its like treacle !! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back