Patio help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fix the patio. The bricks by the sleeper are sinking so the patio isn't level anymore. I'd like it level again and maybe even replace those sleepers with non cresote ones as they ooze black cresote when it's hot and the kids sit on them.

For the bricks side of things, can I just lever them out, top up the underneath with more sand (is sand underneath?) and replace the bricks? For the sleepers, if I pull that sleeper away, won't the decking bricks then fall into the garden? I just have a feeling here I might be embarking on something that is going to end in a mess?

Thanks

149000_148582_62579_95363790_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the sleepers are just pushed up flush with the patio, you may get the odd one or two fall out of place but certainly won't cause you a problem. Once the replacements are in then re bed the bricks.

how long have they been there for? Since 2003 they have been banned from sale.

They have been there since we moved in back in 2007, I used to think it was sap oozing out in summer but as it's black, I am convinced it's cresote now? Is that dangerous? I have got them around the shed as well..... Should replace them I guess, they are looking a bit worn now rather than a nice brown and they are cheap I think?

So re the patio, the sleepers are not holding the bricks in place? Do you reckon there's sand under the bricks then and I just top up the sand and replace the bricks, easy job? I looked it up in my readers digest DIY manual, ha ha, not much use.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Reclaimed sleepers containing creosote are not banned from sale as is clearly displayed by the fact most merchants around the country stock them.

Your block paving will almost certainly be laid on coarse sand. The sleeper is probably acting as a kerb and has gradually moved away over the years allowing water to gradually undermine the sand and cause sinking.

As pigeon mentioned a few block will fall out but its no drama. Simply put your new sleeper in place and then relay the edge course of pavers but lay them on mortar so the same thing doesn;t happen in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back