Patio Paving Slabs - light coloured mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mortar between my patio slabs has cracked due to age. I would like to replace it with some light coloured mortar/cement. The mix I have tried uses builder's sand with the cement - but the colour is too orange for my liking (due to the orange sand). I wonder if I could use playpit sand which looks much lighter in colour to mix with the cement or would this somehow compromise the durability of the resultant mortar?
I would be grateful for any advice please - thanks.

Sponsored Links
dont use playpit sand its too fine.

Cement dyes don't last on paving.

Try using white cement rather than Portland.

If all else fails you could use resin jointing like rompox D1 buts its very dear.

Thanks for the tip on white cement. Following the tip I also found snowcrete which looks like the same thing. Sorry to be ignorant on this but - do I need to add sand like I would with ordinary cement? If so could I still have a problem with the orange coloured builder's sand affecting the colour?

Sponsored Links
Snowcrete is just a brand of white cement and will suit fine.

Yes its just cement so still need to add sand.

3 or 4:1 is good for pointing

As you have found the sand and cement both affect the final colour. You could try plastering sand or building sand from a different merchant/shop. They will all be different to one another.

Personally i use plastering sand when pointing slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back