Patio sub base recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am going to be having a patio install shortly i have had 2 companies round that have told me different things regarding the sub base.

short story is, i have knocked a few walls down recently and lifted the old patio so i have a large pile of rubble, old slabs and masonry. i kept a hold of this because i wasn't sure if it would make a good base for a patio/driveway when mixed with some Type 1 and sand. because originally i was planning on doing the patio myself, but after a couple of hard weekends clearing and landscaping the garden i felt a professional will get a better result than me.

company 1 come round, when I queried them they suggested that the rubble was too large for the need of a patio or even a drive way, they said that it would be best to stick with a type 1 sub base with abed of mortar. saying that my rubble would normally be used for industrial road laying. this work included the breakout of a concrete slab that sat too high but they could patio over the 4ft slab by the back of the house.

company 2 come round a few days later, they started by saying they could used the concrete from breaking all the slabs as a sub base, because i would need a chunkier sub base mixed with type 1 due to the fact the soil it will be laying on is a heavy clay. when i asked him about the rubble he said he could use most of it as the sub base.

now in my mind (and i am quite a competent DIYer as i have a background in engineering and facility maintenance) both are viable solutions, both companies have offered to clear out my rubble pile/the remainder include in the price.

both have really good reviews on checkatrade and other review websites, and both have come in with similar quotes.
so my question is, what are peoples experiences with different sub bases on a clay soil. and if you were to pick, company 1 or 2

Sponsored Links
Have clay soil , laid type 1, then concrete , then slabs on 60-100mm mix.Slight gradient from house to acco feeding into soakaway .

I’d go with company 1 unless company 2 was going to crush it all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back