pattress boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do i need to use a pattress box when changing a light switch on a cavity wall. The new light switch has an earth connection on it. The area i am changing the switch does not have enough room between the battens for a box. Is it acceptable to connect the wires and screw the switch directly to the battens.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply but no to what, no to i don't need a pattress box, or no it is not acceptable to screw the switch to the battens.

all connections must be enclosed and accessible - patress box nessecary im afraid

Sponsored Links
ok thanks a lot mate. any suggestions as to how to fit pattress boxes in restricted spaces.

would it be a lot easier just to suggest to the person that they buy surface mounted boxes.

affleck said:
ok thanks a lot mate. any suggestions as to how to fit pattress boxes in restricted spaces.
hammer drill, chainsaw, pneumatic drill? but seriously, just cut a bit off the battens at each side? just deep enough to mount the box in, then drill a couple of holes in the box so you can screw it into the battens.

or use a 16mm metal box screwed to batten

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back