peak time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two storage heaters which come on about 11pm at night and go off at 7am. I got a new replacement immersion heater installed, as the timer was not working, an Economy 7. I noticed this morning my immersion didn't go off till 8am. Is this hour being used as the expensive time? Please can someone answer my query?

Sponsored Links
Depends how your timer is set and whether we are on british Summer time or winter time.

Sponsored Links
Low rate tariffs keep changing "to meet the lowest demand hours"
Most people will store heating/hotwater partially at low rate, partially at high rate.

Contact your supplier (the one that sends you the bill) regularly to find out current high/low hours.
And do it in writing, chances are that the dumb broad in the call centre in india doesn't actually know much more than you do.

Low rate tariffs keep changing "to meet the lowest demand hours"
While this MAY/COULD be true of supplies on a teleswitch, it is NOT true of supplies on a timer.

@ perfect, your E7 immersion heater should be wired so that it only recieves power during off peak hours. Easiest way to do this is to wire it to the storage heater board, which comes live at off peak. It all depends how your system is wired. Do you have two immersions in the cylinder?

How does the timer keep time during on peak hours if it is wired to the off peak DB

How will you boost during on peak hours

Checked on the moneysavingexpert website, and it seems that it changes from region to region, and what type of tariff you are on.

Is you immersion heater supplied through a "Horstman" timer (time clock with boost facility)?? if so it could be just set up incorrectly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back