pegged out foundations hole, ends don't quite match

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just gone round my foundations trench hammering in some pegs to right depth. Put them in with a spirit level and checked with a water level. The start is perfect (450 below dpc, and lines up with existing courses). The other end meets the party wall and the level is 15mm above the bottom of brick I was hoping to line up with. The house is 80 years old so it might have shifted a little, or it might have been built that way. I'm pretty happy with my measuring but it might be a little out.

I was planning to pour the foundations level. Is it OK to use a furfix wall stater, or similar, and not line the blocks up? It's a short return so will be self supporting. What's the best thing to do?

The 'good' end is top right of the new kitchen, the slightly misaligned end is where the sub stack is in this drawing:

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

I'm pouring the concrete tomorrow. I presume level is the way to go, then sort the blocks out

We would probably halve the deficit, i.e. knock the datum peg down say 7mm so that the +/- difference is the same at each end.

If you are 'toothing-in' face brickwork at any particular abutment then you will be governed by the existing brick and joint. However the difference at dpc level can be taken up by the dpc beds.

Differences in brickwork heights can become a problem at soffit height. This is where you have to be a bit canny (and experienced), regarding joining a true extension onto a not-so-true existing building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back