Perfect finish on MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone know how decorators get the perfect finish on MDF - I have seen it look as if it is sprayed on (I assume this wasn't how it was done).

I have skirting boards, bookcases and cupboards to do, and have already primed them. What do I do now? Do I need thinners? What type of paint? Roller or brush?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
Preparation is important here and the type of MDF itself. When you prime it with water based primer the grain on the surface tends to swell..apparently theres a marine grade MDF which doesnt swell as much.

Use an oil based primer, again to counteract the swelling. Water will swell the fine fibres more...then it wont matter how good you finish it...it will look like you have painted over woodchip paper!

Some MDF primer is a little thick and the surface can end up looking like the skin of an orange...so its a combination of the right consistency paint and the right tool to apply it with.

So...

Thin down some oil based primer by about 25% and apply it using a foam glosisng radiator rolling sleeve.

Rub down when dry with 100/120 grade aluminium oxide paper or similar

Then the if you want a gloss finish give it one undercoat and a couilpe of gloss'es....again rubbing down with fine abrasive paer inbetween each coat and using a foam roller sleeve

If you want an eggshell finish the give it three coats of that instead...id personally stick to the oil based...it will give you more time to apply it.

But just make sure you dont skimp on the rubbing down and dusting off...use a damp rag then rub your hand over the surface to remove the residue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back