Perimeter alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking to have a perimeter alarm set up on the main entry points to my house. I want to keep this separate to the main alarm of the house. The reason is that I suspect I might get a number of false alarms, and I don't want the family to get into a panick in the middle of the night.

In addition this system will probably have to be wireless and my existing home alarm doesn't allow this.

I just want the alarm to give an audible alarm to deter anybody as soon as they have come in close proximity of my house. It doesn't need to contact me as the new CCTV cameras I'm going to have fitted will do that via push.

There is no chance of somebody walking along the road triggering them as my drive is quite deep.

Anyway, my question is; are the dual sensors quite robust against false alarms? I've read that they need to detect heat and movement to be triggered so animals don't set them off.

I don't want to pay to have the system installed and then find I never use it because it's constantly being set off by cats/foxes etc

Thank you

Sponsored Links
when you say perimeter, you are talking externally to your property ?

externally you run the risk of anything outside triggering the system.

It is possible to have detectors that are smarter in that they have two detectors, like the Texecom External TD or Pyronix Tri tech, which should help reduce false alarms.

There are ways to get notifications that the external zone has been activated without it causing an alarm.

personally shock sensors on your windows might be a better alternative.

If you are getting someone in to install the system, see what they are offering you as a solution, not sure anyone would take this on as fit only.

when you say perimeter, you are talking externally to your property ?

externally you run the risk of anything outside triggering the system.

It is possible to have detectors that are smarter in that they have two detectors, like the Texecom External TD or Pyronix Tri tech, which should help reduce false alarms.

There are ways to get notifications that the external zone has been activated without it causing an alarm.

personally shock sensors on your windows might be a better alternative.

If you are getting someone in to install the system, see what they are offering you as a solution, not sure anyone would take this on as fit only.

Hi
Yes, I do mean external to the house. I have some window shock sensors already but really would like to have a line of defence before that.

By other notifications I assume you mean a text msg or app notification? That relies on me hearing a tiny ping on my phone in the middle of the night (when I might have had a skinful lol)

This has been recommended by a local company
Risco agility 3 with wireless connection
Two external infrared sensors
Wirefree self activating sounder with xenon strobe and LED module.
108 db internal electronic sounder.

That bit that concerns me is that despite me mentioning my worries about false alarms they have specced straightforward infrared sensors rather than dual action etc

Thanks

The Agility 3 is a wireless panel, you don't state what devices specifically, for example on the Agility I would look at Watchout this has two sensors both of which need activating to cause an alarm condition.

You need to air your concerns with the installer and ask questions regarding false alarms and how this will limit them and what can be done if it does false alarm.

no matter what detector you have outside, you run the risk of more false alarms than in a house environment

I don't see a Wireless DT Watchout version being available. Also there was a watchout with a camera, but again don't see that available in my riscostore so would have to get Risco to confirm availability in which countries and which panels etc.

Sponsored Links
once in three years is more than acceptable in my eyes and is that before the lens was/ wasn't corrected?

The Agility 3 is a wireless panel, you don't state what devices specifically, for example on the Agility I would look at Watchout this has two sensors both of which need activating to cause an alarm condition.

You need to air your concerns with the installer and ask questions regarding false alarms and how this will limit them and what can be done if it does false alarm.

no matter what detector you have outside, you run the risk of more false alarms than in a house environment

I don't see a Wireless DT Watchout version being available. Also there was a watchout with a camera, but again don't see that available in my riscostore so would have to get Risco to confirm availability in which countries and which panels etc.

Thanks. That's all the paperwork said, no further detail but I can ask them. Stapled to the back is a Risco brochure and I see they also do wireless beam, I wonder if that would have any advantage?

I have the wired equivalent of https://www.pyronix.com/uk/products/xdl12tt-we absolutely bullet proof with one false alarm in 3 years (wrong lens, low sun) just hooked up to my existing alarm on a separate area chimes during day time - triggers cctv when armed.

Once in 3 years is fine by me. Am I correct in saying it just uses PIR but two of them? ie no microwave sensor as well?

Thanks

The wireless beams are between two fixed points, so limited to the area they cover, on a drive way can be good if a car is driven on or off it for example.normal PIR and o

The pyronix tritech quoted has three sensors, 3 infra red and one microwave.

The wireless beams are between two fixed points, so limited to the area they cover, on a drive way can be good if a car is driven on or off it for example.normal PIR and o

The pyronix tritech quoted has three sensors, 3 infra red and one microwave.

Thanks. The pyronix seems to be the answer then. The risco watchout only has two pir sensors.

Can I assume that a pyronix sensor will play nicely with a Risco panel?

Cheers

If your going hardwired doesn't make a difference about mixing brands so much. The Agility 3 is a completely wireless panel off the shelf.

You have to have a hybrid panel to mix wireless brands, starts to get complicated.

To make Agility 3 hybrid you would need an input output expander, so it starts getting silly as a new system.

You need to speak with your installer about the system limitations if you are concerned as they should have done a site survey and recommended suitable devices for your needs if your not convinced they have you need to ask them questions.

The problem like everything else is the best compromise to achieve what you want as a complete system.

Just an update. I went for the Risco set up. So Risco agility panel with five Risco watchout sensors. Controlled by either wireless keypad, fob or phone app.
Internal and external sounders.

I've only just had it installed so its early days in terms of false alarms.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back