Permitted Development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone who knows a bit about 'Permitted Development' who could help me?

I've bought a house and wish to put in a Dormer to create an additional bedroom.

Looking back at the history of the house - an extension to the rear of the property was built with planning permission back in 1972. This was actually a conservatory type extention. I have since knocked this down and rebuilt with a Flat Roof but still keeping the original footprint and volume of area. This has been signed of by the Building Inspector.

Back in 1996 Planning Permission was granted to rebuild a workshop which was attached to the house and make it into part of the main house (study & utility area). This has been completed.

I've been told that you can add ( subject to conditions ) 70sqm to a building without PP?

Do I have to take into account the extension that was granted permission back in 1972 or can the 70 sqm be in addition to any PP that has previously been given?

I have since found out that a 'loft conversion' was refused PP back in 1996 due to 'over development' concerns. I note also that PP was refused for a Dormer on the same basis back in 1996.

I note that my neighbours have since built a Dormer to their property just like the one I want. This was granted back in 2001.

So- will I still need PP for this Dormer or can I build it under this 70sqm rule? I know rules and regs change but i'm not up to date currently!

Any help much appreciated.

B

Sponsored Links
Rules and regs change through out the country and of course over time, easiest way is to contact your local building control/planning dept and request a site visit and advice, as far as i know this service is free (although i may well stand corrected on that :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
The volume mentioned in PD rights is based on additional area to the house as built, or as it was in 1948. So if you have any extensions - whether previously approved or not, is taken off the PD allowance.

Policies change and precedents are formed, so it may be worth while reapplying with a new argument as to why it should be approved this time. And don't forget to appeal if the app is turned down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back