Person on Gas Safe Certificate isn't who installed our boiler

Unless it says Central heating DOM LPG with a tick alongside it, they can't work on anything LPG, nor commission it, nor sign it off... simples

Sponsored Links
Here in London it's very common for building companies to have one bent gas safe person signing off all gas work that other bodgers do.
Highly irregular and dangerous.
Don't be afraid to ask documentation from the person touching gas; if they have nothing to hide they'll be glad you've asked.

Here in London it's very common for building companies to have one bent gas safe person signing off all gas work that other bodgers do.
Highly irregular and dangerous.
Don't be afraid to ask documentation from the person touching gas; if they have nothing to hide they'll be glad you've asked.
Which I would understand if the chap who signed off the work had the LPG certification to cover to the installer who did not. But none of the people involved should work with LPG, so it's really odd.

so it's really odd.
Not odd .... illegal .... and they need to be reported.

A point for other visitors, always ask for the persons gas safe card and check it front and back. Check they are who they say they are, then check the relative sections on the back of the card that they are certified to do the work they are doing and make sure the dates are valid.

If at all concerned then don't be afraid to ask them to stop working and confirm via Gas Safe that everything is OK. Any legit professional shouldn't have any issue with you doing that.

Sponsored Links
The company have come back saying the engineer's LPG cert has just expired which is why it doesn't show on the Gas Safe website, but he was certified when he commissioned our boiler a couple of weeks ago. Any way I can check this?

His Gas Safe ID (which I've been sent a copy of) is dated valid from 21/03/22-02/04/23 so this story seems unlikely.

Last edited:
His Gas Safe ID (which I've been sent a copy of) is dated valid from 21/03/22-02/04/23 so this story seems unlikely.
That is normal , that is when his gas safe membership is valid, not when individual categories are valid, why are you so reluctant to call Gas Safe ? one phone call will give you all the answers, on the back of the engineers card there is an expiery date next to each category, the only time that date chages is if the individual category expires before the gas safe membership expires

Last edited:
The company have come back saying the engineer's LPG cert has just expired which is why it doesn't show on the Gas Safe website, but he was certified when he commissioned our boiler a couple of weeks ago. Any way I can check this?

If his ID issued in March doesn't show LPG then he can't have been LPG registered a couple of weeks ago either. Mine looks like this (it shows LPG expiry in March this year because it did and they didn't send me a new card when I renewed my qualifications. The GS website is up to date though).
16690586244372486689562790630193.jpg

As others have said, the best way to be absolutely sure is to contact Gas Safe on 0800 408 5500. If they confirm that John Smith isn't and wasn't LPG Registered then you should report him here https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/g...-suspect-gas-work/report-illegal-gas-workers/

They will be interested in knowing both that he is working illegally himself, and that he is illegally signing off other people's work

Yup, they're at it and trying to waffle their way out of it. Luckily they can't. As suggested, if his licence is still in date then LPG would still be on it, it would just have the date of when the LPG stuff expired, being the said 'couple of weeks ago'.

Deffo Gas Safe time.

Yup, they're at it and trying to waffle their way out of it. Luckily they can't. As suggested, if his licence is still in date then LPG would still be on it, it would just have the date of when the LPG stuff expired, being the said 'couple of weeks ago'.

Deffo Gas Safe time.

Contacted Gas Safe who confirmed the chap on the certificate was LPG certified at the time.

However, it turns out he should have been present at the time of installation, not just turned up afterwards and commissioned the boiler (which I don't believe he actually did).

Gas Safe are now sending an inspector to check-out the installation and the installers have been reported.

Annoyingly though, I have now paid the plumbers in full, so I'll have to sue for any losses.

You wont have any losses, if anything not right Gas safe will make them correct it or they will be removed from the register

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back