Pest control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently being inundated with bluebottles, must be the heat. I've never had so many in the home in the 26 years I've lived here. Yesterday left home at 0900 whilst it was still reasonably cool & returned seven hours later to find the windows crawling with the bloody things, seriously it was like a scene from a horror movie !
I have one of those devices that you seen in food outlets, with a couple of blue strip bulbs, hanging just below the kitchen ceiling but not a single fly had been 'fried' ! Can anyone offer any advice please.

nb: yes we do practice household hygiene, no uncovered pet food, disinfected pedal bin etc.

Sponsored Links
I think something has fallen down behind or under the cooker, fridge or other unit. Has a cat brought in dead wildlife?

Have a look at your sink drain too.

For today, a fly spray and hoover will clean them up.

There is an epidemic of flies this year, its all down to the "circle of life"

anyone noticed there are very few Swallows ,Swifts, House Martins this year maybe wiped out by the "Beast from the East " as they migrated here
The " circle of life" again

Sponsored Links
I second the fact there may be something that has died or gone rotten in your house with that amount of flies. Have you a chimney? That's a prime place.

anyone noticed there are very few Swallows ,Swifts, House Martins this year maybe wiped out by the "Beast from the East " as they migrated here
The " circle of life" again
Funnily enough saw my first swift today while in London. They're only here for a few months a year in the summer so was pleased.

Two three weeks ago conditions were wet, damp and cold ideal for maggots, now the temperature has changed too hot its now time to hatch
Been hot here for 6 weeks! No rain at all.

Thanks to all those of you who replied, I'm glad to say the problem has greatly diminished over the last few days. Just returned home after an absence of some hours & there's only a couple of bluebottles indoors, so out came the swat !
Must have been the suggested mass hatching (bosswhite) as there doesn't appear to be anything deceased in the home & we don't have a chimney (sodthisforfun) but everyone is moaning about the explosion in the ant population, fortunately ant powder judiciously applied keeps the little b.....s out side.
Thanks again folks, enjoy the current heatwave … but lets not go down that road :sleep:

Did you have a "Rodent problem?" a couple of months ago?

Mice or Rats and did you use poison to resolve the issue?

Sponsored Links
Back