Peugeot 307 Headlight not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I start my car after parking for long time (during the night or after work), the left side headlight (low beam) is not turning on. Only the right side headlight is turning on. I need to open the bonnet, open the circle cover at the back of the headlight and wiggle the lamp to turn it on

There was moisture forming inside headlight cover 3 weeks back. A mechanic opened the headlight cover to remove moisture. He kept a polythene sheet below the headlight cover to prevent moisture forming again.

He also replaced the lamp (low beam) inside the headlight.

Any help please? I don't want to consult that mechanic again as he is using all unprofessional techniques like inserting a polythene sheet and everytime wiggling the lamp wires. Wiggling has damaged the lamp wires also once and made it loose connection. Now, another mechanic corrected the loose connection but the problem of not turning on remains still.

Thanks a lot in advance please.

Sponsored Links
The problem is obviously being caused by a bad connection somewhere, either there is no 12 volt supply or no earth. You can check this with a voltmeter, connect it to each pine of the lamp in turn, if you have 12v on everything there is an earth fault, nothing and there is a supply fault. If you have 12v on one pin and nothing on another the bulb could be faulty internally.

Peter

The problem is obviously being caused by a bad connection somewhere, either there is no 12 volt supply or no earth. You can check this with a voltmeter, connect it to each pine of the lamp in turn, if you have 12v on everything there is an earth fault, nothing and there is a supply fault. If you have 12v on one pin and nothing on another the bulb could be faulty internally.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your immediate reply.

I will try the solution you have suggested. I need to buy a voltmeter and would check it. Let me confirm you the status. :).

One of my friends suggested even to replace the headlight assembly totally. But, I know it would be a costlier option. So, I can try as you suggested before taking that decision. But, I got more confidence after seeing your reply.

Thanks and Best Regards
R. Rajesh Kannan

The fault could be in the headlight itself or the associated wiring, you should be able to check this with the meter. There are some very cheap mutimeters about, under a tenner, or maybe you can borrow one.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The fault could be in the headlight itself or the associated wiring, you should be able to check this with the meter. There are some very cheap mutimeters about, under a tenner, or maybe you can borrow one.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your help and care. Your suggestions give me more confidence and smiles.

Yes, I will try to borrow a multimeter from my friend and will confirm you about the observations. In the meantime, I am lucky to have the headlight turning on for yesterday and today without doing anything. I wish it to continue working properly. But, I will keep the multimeter handy with me for some days so that I can check it when the problem occurs again.

Thanks and Best Regards
R. Rajesh Kannan

So far as I remember, some of the bulbs in this lamp unit have the conductors running in the plastic shell, and are prone to failing (sidelights and indicators particularly).
On one occasion I had to replace the entire headlamp to overcome this!
John :)

Back