peugeot glow plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm having starting probs with my 206hdi DW10 engine, when i turn the key from cold the heater light goes off after 2-3 seconds but it takes a good few turns of the motor before it starts? could this be the glow plugs as the light goes off very quickly? or could it be the relay? they are original plugs and have done 91,000miles, also if its the glow plugs what is the best make to replace with.

Sponsored Links
There's a good chance that the glowplugs have had enough....to test them, remove the electrical connection from each one, and resistance test between the plug terminal and earth. You are looking for a very low resistance, typically 1 ohm.
As for replacements, Bosch are good, so are Valeo - it depends what you are offered, to some degree.
John :)

Generally Hdi's don't need the glowplugs to start but worth checking, my C5 has just started being difficult and I believe its the HP diesel pump, if it isn't I shall have a spare one :( I think I have tried everything else.

Is the engine turning over fast enough? speed is essential for these to start well.

Peter

Ensure you have no ingress of air into the fuel line while stopped overnight? If you have a hand primer, pump before trying for a start. I think they should go hard when fully primed.

Sponsored Links
Generally Hdi's don't need the glowplugs to start but worth checking, my C5 has just started being difficult and I believe its the HP diesel pump, if it isn't I shall have a spare one :( I think I have tried everything else.

Is the engine turning over fast enough? speed is essential for these to start well.

Peter
It turns over like most diesels pretty slow, but the battery is new? think i may try the plugs as they are prob the cheapest out of all.

I have three Hdi's and they all turn over pretty quickly, you could try linking another battery to it with jump leads, that should tell you whether its the battery or starter.

Peter

There's a good chance that the glowplugs have had enough....to test them, remove the electrical connection from each one, and resistance test between the plug terminal and earth. You are looking for a very low resistance, typically 1 ohm.
As for replacements, Bosch are good, so are Valeo - it depends what you are offered, to some degree.
Are all bosch glow plugs duraterm? as i have seen some cheaper bosch plugs which one are the best?

Its a bit like the old spark plug discussions of yore, really - why have normal tips when iridium ones are better?
The duraterm is the top of the range glow plug, and in reality the tip will last longer, have more heating cycles and be less prone to burning than standard. Naturally they cost more.
Given a choice, I personally would fit the best possible component, but if your engine has other issues that may interfere with a good start, these won't cure that!

Sponsored Links
Back