Phone Charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have bought myself a new mobile.

"Woo-hoo!", some will say.
"So what?", others will say.
"Didn't take you years, then?", cynics will say.

Like a lot of new mobiles, it came without a charger.

On GSM Arena, the spec is 18W Fast Charge or 15W Fast Charge Wireless.

I have a handful of old chargers in a drawer. But none of them are 18W, so I looked online.

I have never had a wireless charge compatible phone before, so looked up some stuff. QI certified seems to be the way to go.

But on Amazon, I found this:

upload_2022-3-3_10-50-2.png

Guess that 2.0/3.0 refers to the USB standard?

Not sure why an 18W charger won't supply 15W to the device?

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong, but I have seen mentioned that the conversion to wireless is about 80% efficient?
So to output 15W, would require 18.75W + .25W for the electronics?
...and over-driving the PSU probably wouldn't do it's longevity any good!

Well done for getting a new phone! (y)

Looks good! :)

But worth noting if you have a Samsung, or iPhone:

Screenshot_20220303-114642_Chrome.jpg

Proprietary code, and non-standard 'Standards', strike again! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Samsung have disabled fast wireless charging from non Samsung wireless chargers. I suspect it's because they get the phone/battery too hot. Some Samsung fast wireless chargers have fans in them.

I bought a "fast wireless" Devia charger with my new phone, supposed to be 10W but it only charges at 5W, with a message warning incompatibility on the phone.. It's about 3 minutes per percent, whereas 25W wired charging and 15W are just either side of 1 minute per percent. These are different outputs from a 65W charger, so that's not limiting it. Percent per minute also changes with battery charge %.
Interestingly, Android 11 has given the ability to limit charging to 85%, and also inhibit fast wired and fast wireless charging.

I suspect that's because it's kinder to the battery.
Indy tests show that phone batteries do not like, relatively:
getting hot = fast charging
or being fully discharged
or being fully charged.

I have a really cheap unbranded wireless charger which is obviously pretty inefficient, because it gets much hotter than the Devia. Even when the phone is charged, it sits there hot. You wouldn't want that if you charge your phone overnight.
There's obviously a "handshake" with the charger, as the charger's light changes colour. The unbranded one stays hot with no phone on it, the Devia one doesn't .

Upshot - the Devia charger is ok for overnight, because it's slow, and doesn't get hot.

Samsung brand double outlet fast car charger is great, by the way.

Last edited:
Nope, it was £400. Nokia XR20.

But loads of manufacturers are deleting the charger as many buyers will use their existing one.

I never had any problem charging my iPhones on the cheap poundshop wireless chargers. £5-8 job done.

I never had any problem charging my iPhones on the cheap poundshop wireless chargers. £5-8 job done.
At what power, though, the one of theirs on their site now is 4w output. Fine for the ££ and that would work with a Samsung, I think, as the power is low.

The car one I find fine is
Samsung EP-LN920BBEGUS Mine was £9.99 delivered A mere 10W but tbh I find that to be fast enough almost always

They do a EP-L5300 which is faster - 45w + 15W, which would be a nice to have in case caught out. Other half can have the slower one, they wouldn't bother about checking the charge rate.

Consistent story with phone chargers seems to be that the cheap ones are crap. Over the years I must have thrown half a dozen away. It's fizziks, you can't miniaturise the Watt! If the circuitry fails they need to fail SAFE, but they won't all, so you might get 12V instead of 5...

Last edited:
My Samsung devices have always come with a charger

The contactless ones are so easy to use, you just put the phone down and it charges, I wouldn't be concerned that power transferred is a bit slower.

I have had a cable charging socket get loose with wear, which is not good.

Sponsored Links
Back