Pic of the week

I'm pretty much in the same boat as mr or missus wetpants here. So what we're saying is that it's "doable" without contacting LBC first?

This is what my instructor taught me on the part p course i did and naturally this is how i've progressed, i.e. not contacting LBC prior as i hope to cert the job once accredited.

Sponsored Links
a) They (NICEIC) are not inspecting the installation, they are assessing the applicant
I was under the impression that as part of an NICEIC assessment is that the applicant is complying with BS7671? I'd hope that someone who applies for NICEIC enrolment who shows a job without any BS7671 compliant paperwork will be refused enrolment.
I agree in that complying with BS7671 alone does not comply with Part 2 of Part P. If at the time of the works the applicant is not a member of a competent person scheme, to remain within the law they should go the LABC route.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as mr or missus wetpants here. So what we're saying is that it's "doable" without contacting LBC first?

This is what my instructor taught me on the part p course i did and naturally this is how i've progressed, i.e. not contacting LBC prior as i hope to cert the job once accredited.

To remain within the law the work should be notified to your LABC and the fee paid before the work is carried out as you are not currently a member of a competent person scheme.

a) They (NICEIC) are not inspecting the installation, they are assessing the applicant
I was under the impression that as part of an NICEIC assessment is that the applicant is complying with BS7671? I'd hope that someone who applies for NICEIC enrolment who shows a job without any BS7671 compliant paperwork will be refused enrolment.
I agree in that complying with BS7671 alone does not comply with Part 2 of Part P. If at the time of the works the applicant is not a member of a competent person scheme, to remain within the law they should go the LABC route.

half a day assessment, two jobs, plus travel time, plus inspecting documentation, insurance, test equipment, H&S policy, calibration process, ability to test, questioning understanding of 7671, qualifications etc etc....do you really think that gives time to fully test inspect the actual installations ??

I reiterate that the assessment is of the candidate, not the installation. Yes, the installation is representative of the candidate and will be sampled, and if obvious defects are apparent then these will be identified and the candidate may fail, but as far as full test and inspection and therefore certification of the work, no.

In summary, if a candidate passes, this in no way certifies the installation.
No short cuts !

Right, so i need to get the LABC involved asap then as i've already done the CU and rewired part of the house.

This is contrary to what i was taught. :( and i may (probably) fall foul of 'not having done things in the right order'.

Fantastic.

Sponsored Links

I'm a mister.

I've deliberately held off from doing any sort of electrical work until I've cleared up on the procedures hence I've just been plastering today. I had the isolator fit today, but the British Gas man couldn't do anything about the lack of earth clamp on the incoming supply. He did change the tails though.

Incedently, how much is a notification to LBC? Getting trained up can be pretty exp...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back