Picture of the Friday evening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is (hopefully) an easier challenge than last time.

Spot the fault and guess the cause.

This is (as before), not a 'guess the non-compliance' type picture!

2e16ts9.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is (hopefully) an easier challenge than last time.

Spot the fault and guess the cause.

This is (as before), not a 'guess the non-compliance' type picture!

I know nothing about electrics but i'll have a go:

connector used in a CU?

It is not a 'non compliance' you are looking for ;)

I have posted this pic in regards to a genuine fault.

Sponsored Links
I thought this would be easy....

MY hint would be the terminal block, it is a bit blurry, but fairly obvious......

Has the block gotten hot and melted it looks bigger on the right.

Or my eye sight is going :D

Plus why has the N got earth sleeving on it?

The neutral has not got earth sleeving it.

The terminal block certainly has melted.........but only one of the blocks ;)

I really did think this was an easy one :LOL:

One leg of ring final removed from its terminals, re-terminated in a conn. block, used to supply neutral for whole system?

Only on line very quickly.......Think TN-C-S and conversion of rather large old victorian house into flats.....

Another non-spark having a guess at this one:

I'm wondering what the choc connector is achieving?
I mean there's a live and a neutral... or at least red and black... connected into separate 'ways'. But nothing connected to the other side. What's the point in that other than to "safely" (slightly) isolate something

Not sure about the sleeved g/y .. looks welded to the missing 3rd "way"? Though perhaps that's the focus not helping my understanding...

Also it looks like a couple of circuit have been chopped (2x live poking out of fuseholder.)

From the hint about the conversion and seeing as this cable seems to be disconnected from the fuses/N-busbar/earth I'd make a guess that it's the return leg or an original Ring Final, the other end of which is still connected to the CU in the other flat?

???

The chock block is actually joining two twin and earth cables. You can see the two neutrals, but the earths and lives seem to have 'become one' in the photo.

The earth terminal block has completely melted.

This was an attempt by some sparky to split up a a single large flat into two smaller ones. He fitted a new fuseboard, and split the circuits best he could - splitting one by joining it in the old CU. He had two individual DNO supplies within a single fuseboard - Very dangerous.

The neutral supply for one of the flats was lost - most of the flats share a TP UG incommer, but the new additional flat created was fed overhead from a pole, as this was more convenient by the looks of it. It was this neutral that dropped. As the spark had not split the circuits very well, he still had lighting circuit earths joined together in places, and again, had two circuits from two different supplies in some joint boxes where he had done the splits, but commoned the earths. As the supplies where all TN-C-S, with the lost neutral, all the current from one flat went sailing down the earths that where common to the flats.......in this case, the lighting circuit was the best route. There was a fair load, as there was no central heating in the new flat.

We have had to strip out both lighting circuits, and rewire them completely. The spark actually did manage to split the socket circuits ok. I guess he bodged with the lights because he could not get above the ceiling.

I should have taken more photos of the damage, as it was not just limited to the terminal block in the CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back