Pieris Forest Flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello kind people, I have just been given a lovely large one in a pot as a present. Please help.

When should I plant it out, I understand that it should be planted in the spring. So do I keep it sheltered in the pot or plant now (November)?

If you think that I can plant it out now, how about mixing some compost that rotted down nicely last year with say, half ericaceous compost and a proportion, (say 25%) of sand for drainage.

I am no expert and the above proportions are a sort of guess.

Looking forward to some opinions.

Regards

Alan

Sponsored Links
You can probably keep it in the pot till early spring or plant it out now, at your choice.
I don't think it needs ericaceous compost - have you read that somewhere?
Pieris is not, in my experience, a fussy plant. Dig a hole, add some compost and a handful of growmore if you want, plant it and water.

If it is a mature specimen it will drop quite a lot of leaves in the months following planting. This is no big problem and i have never had one die even moving a very large one.

Sponsored Links
Good morning everyone,

It does seem that planting Pieris is not critical, that is good. Endecotp I did read that it prefers acidic soil and good drainage which is why I concocted my mix as my first thread. My main reason for posting is that I was uncertain when to plant, but it seems that pot or plant anytime will be ok.
Do you agree?
Regards
Alan

pot or plant anytime will be ok.
Do you agree?

Yes, within reason.
Has it been growing happily in its current pot, or has the previous owner just dug it up and shoved it in a yogurt pot with half its roots exposed?

Hello, it was a present and I have had it only a week, bought from a nursery, it is quite big, say two feet high and looks healthy and happy.

By the way, thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back