Pilot light on Potterton Kingfisher RS60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light on the boiler, which must be at least 30 years old, did not stay lit. As suggested in other threads I have changed the thermocouple and vacuumed out the burner unit as it was full of crud.

The boiler worked fine for a couple of days, but is now not staying lit. If the pilot goes out I can reignite it, and it will stay lit for a while, the main burners will light, and go out and relight from the pilot as they should, but then the pilot light goes out and everything goes cold. There is no pattern to the pilot going out - the back door can be open or closed, the gas cooker can be on or off, likewise the heating timer can be on or off.

I don't want to spend a fortune on the boiler as we are having building work done in the next six months, and will be replacing it with a modern combi boiler. I would like it to work somewhat more reliably through the winter months though.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can patch this thing up and nurse it through the next six months?

Sponsored Links
Does anybody have any ideas how I can patch this thing up and nurse it through the next six months?

The phrase "Patching things up" and gas appliances don't go hand in hand i'm afraid.

Just think about what has just happened in Corfu.

Food for thought.

OK, 'How can I make this thing work safely and reliably at minimum cost over the next six months'

AlanW11 said:
OK, 'How can I make this thing work safely and reliably at minimum cost over the next six months'

Get a suitably qualified heating engineer to sort it for you.

The fault will almost certainly involve a gas carrying part
so not DIY territory

Sponsored Links
Was reluctantly coming to that conclusion myself as I don't want to try and replace the gas valve myself

Is the pilot flame actually reaching the thermocouple? If you can safely change a thermocouple then you can surely blow around the pilot jet with an air duster or even a McDonalds straw if you are desperate.
Did you tighten up the other end of the thermocouple properly?
I know it sounds a silly mistake but I got called out about four hours ago to a combi that wasnt working. A dozy joiner had accidentally knocked off the power supply.

Thanks for that - checked the other end of the thermocouple, it is seated firmly and tightened.

The pilot stayed on overnight, and lit the boiler this morning when the timer switch came on, but then went out about half an hour later. Relit it and it has then stayed alight for the last couple of hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back