PILOT LIGHT WILL NOT LIGHT!!!!ARGH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into our new house and are now sat in the lounge with a fan heater on max and wearing..... a coat!

Can anyone advise me please? itis a Ferolli Optima 901 combi boiler i have tried numerous times to light the damn thing but the pilot light refuses to ignite, i have read through and followed the instructions and still nothing!! it was working fine until this evening, i have made sure the thermo is on max on the boiler and the thermo on the wall, the heating is set on continuous heat and water, but nothing!! any suggestions greatly appreciated.

i am going to give it one final try unless anyone out there can help a damsel in distress!! There will be fighting over the fan heater but it will go to my son and i will just have to wrap up in the duvet!!! TMI

Badger

Sponsored Links
If you are Ruth of the Hotel Inspector then I might give you special help as I like those programs!

Otherwise you might have to call us out on normal terms if you live within a mile of the Castle Balti !

They have taken the Tandoori fish starter off the new menu though but added some higher value dishes like Tandoori Trout ! Typical Ruth Badger idea there! Next they will be stopping me bring my own wine!

Tony

not much point turning up the stats if the pilot is off dear. bit like flooring the accelerator before you start the car
read the manual and do EXACTLY what is says to light the pilot

Guys!

I am not Ruth Badger and fyi its Badger or Bust not the hotel inspector!

I have read the manual and have followed it word for word and still nothing!! Not being a trained engineer but having an educated guess i would say that the pilot light is knackered (a technical term, you will all be familiar with) all i was hoping for was a little bit of advice perhaps from one of you nice gents not condesending comments!! Perhaps it is the thermocouple? Any suggestions relevant to the pilot light problem greatly appreciated.

x

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert and there are lots of different boiler types.

Usually, you need to hold the button down for several seconds while the thermocouple heats up and then the jet should stay open and keep lit.

If it doesn't spark - check the power supply and the piezo electric unit

If it sparks but doesn't stay lit after you've held the button in for say ten seconds, you probably need a new thermocouple. These are quite easy to fit and not very expensive - you usually need only a 10mm spanner.

To most of the guys on here, this would be a trivial problem and I expect they have lots of other work on.

Good luck.

Could be a blocked pilot injector.

Is this one of those combis that have auto ignition of the pilot and the fan spins slowly first of all?

thank you ratter and gas4you for your suggestions, called in an engineer and he suspects it is a circuit board, so another night without heating!!!

Hopefully this should remedy the problem, what should i expect to pay for one and what about labour charges?

x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back